How to use the text (multiple lines) block
Learn everything you need to know to use the text (multiple lines) block in your forms.
When to use
Use the text (multiple lines) block to let your respondents enter a text answer that can contain line breaks. Usually used for long text answers, like explanations.
How to use
Add a new block to your form and then select the question type
Text (multiple lines). You can now customize this block to your needs with the following features.
Each question block has basic features to present the block the way you need, for example
Help text. And most of the question blocks have common options, like the
More information about these basic features can be found in the help article about our form builder.
On top of those basic features, the text (multiple lines) block has the following advanced options:
By enabling the
Transformfeature, you can determine how the answered text should be transformed. For example you can capitalize certain parts of the answer, or convert all characters to lowercase/uppercase.
By enabling the
Prefillfeature, you can set a fixed initial value of the text block (more information about prefilling).
Logic is important to make your forms smart and conversational. The text (multiple lines) block can work with the following branch conditions to help you with that:
- Text matches
- Text does not match
- Text contains
- Text does not contain
- Text starts with
- Text ends with
- Text is empty;
- Text is not empty.
When we mention
your filter above, there are some different filters that you can use to make the right comparison:
- Text - Compare with a fixed text that you enter;
- Value - Compare with another block value entered in the form by a respondent (more info).
You can use the calculator block to perform calculations with given answers. The text (multiple lines) block supports the following calculation operations:
- Compare - Compare a text and output a value based on the result of the comparison;
- Character count - Count the number of characters in a text;
- Word count - Count the number of words in a text;
- Line count - Count the number of lines in a text;
- Count occurrences - Count the number of occurrences of a certain text, character or regular expression in a text;
- Convert to number - Convert a text to a number value.