How to use the file upload block
Learn everything you need to know to use the file upload block in your forms.
When to use
Use the file upload block to let your respondents upload a file or image to their responses.
Each file upload block enables your respondents to upload one file. Need your respondents to upload multiple files? Then add multiple file upload blocks to your form structure. Or repeat a file upload block for a selected amount of times, using branch logic.
How to use
Add a new block to your form and then select the question type
File upload. You can now customize this block to your needs with the following features:
Textfeature for the name/title of this block.
Descriptionfeature to add a description to this block.
- Help text
Help textfeature to add a help text to this block.
- File size
File sizefeature to determine the maximum file size (in Mb) that respondents can upload.
- File type
File typefeature to determine what file type(s) respondents can select. Make sure you start the file type with a dot (for example
By default this block is not required to fill out by your respondents. Enable the
Requiredfeature to make this block required to fill out.
By default this block is visible in your form. Enable the
Visibilityfeature to hide it for your respondents.
By default the name/title of this block will be used in your dataset. Enable the
Aliasfeature to use a different name in your dataset.
Logic is important to make your forms smart and conversational. The file upload block can work with the following branch conditions to help you with that:
- File uploaded;
- No file uploaded.
- Value matches
- Value does not match
- Value contains
- Value does not contain
- Value starts with
- Value ends with
- Value is empty;
- Value is not empty.
When we mention
your filter above, there are some different filters that you can use to make the right comparison:
- Text - Compare with a fixed text that you enter;
- Value - Compare with another block value entered in the form by a respondent (more info).
You can use the calculator block to perform calculations with given answers. The file upload block supports the following calculation operations:
- Compare - Compare a file name and output a value based on the result of the comparison;
- Character count - Count the number of characters in a file name;
- Word count - Count the number of words in a file name;
- Line count - Count the number of lines in a file name;
- Count occurrences - Count the number of occurrences of a certain text, character or regular expression in a file name;
- Convert to number - Convert a file name to a number value.